Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Leeboard test

 The video may be jumpy but I think it shows how cool the leeboard is , especially at the end of the video. Notice how I can bump adjust the leeboard and it stays right where I want it to. Great design.  This video is not showing up in my Google Chrome but does show up and work using Firefox. Not sure about Explorer.

Here is the friction washer Frank came up with.  What a great designer he is.

Have a look at his article entitled " Why I LOVE Leeboards"
http://www.diy-tris.com/2012/articles/1-leeboards-why.htm


1 comment:

  1. Hi a nice boat that moves nicely through the water.
    One question, why the leeboard. I have built catamaran with dagger boards and while not good when coming into the beach at speed. You’ve got to move fast to get them up.
    I have a 14 ft Paper Tiger Catamaran I built in a mould that I would like to use as amas on 20 Foot boat with light weight and very narrow. If I can find a broken Tornado cat that would do me but I would use a smaller sail. Probably just but a couple of reefs in it until I see how the beams go.
    With a cat it’s not so much a problem when it comes to too big a rig, you just capsize and get wet but if the rig is too big on a tri you can snap your beams or submerge the Lee ama and break something. Worse is a capsize. A 20ft Tornado is not to bad to right but a tri is a different story. The tornado has swing center boards. If I have to build one it will definitely have a swing centreboard.

    ReplyDelete