Friday, August 8, 2014

Filling the weave

Quite a bit of the weave was showing, even though, after the initial wetting of the fiberglass, I waited about an hour and a half, till it was kind of dry and came back and added a second coat. By the next morning, there were no dry or starved cloth places, but the weave certainly needed filling.  I went and got some of the west system 710, listed on their chart as easiest to sand.  Then, using the reflection from the lights, squeegeed on a thickened mixture of epoxy and microballons.  Above is what it looks like now.

Yes, I know it looks bad, but I assume that since it is 710, it should sand off for a nice finish.  Certainly I now see the waxy residue that everyone talks about needed to be scrubbed off. The wax shows itself upon running a fingernail over the surface.








No comments:

Post a Comment