Saturday, August 16, 2014

Epoxy Paint



This stuff sure is smelly.   Even 100% outdoors, I had to go grab my respirator, the best I could buy at home depot. I can see now why one would want a forced air respirator.  The stuff is thick. used one of those paddle mixers on the 5 gallon bucket of part A, till it was mixed well.
Then, since I use a digital scale for all my epoxy mixing anyway, I zeroed out a scrap bucket that I intended to use for mixing and poured in 1000 grams, and since it is a 4 to one mix, then in a separate big cup, measured out 250 grams, then poured that into the bucket containing part A, and mixed for about 3 minutes, using a big paint stir stick, using all techniques I have learned off of youtube.
Then using the yellow foam rollers from harbor freight, started on the sides of the boat.  Very thick stuff.  Horizontal strokes, followed by more epoxy paint vertically.  Getting to the bilge panels and the bottom, since the boat is upside down on saw horses, put the bilge panels and bottom inches from my face.  Used my left gloved hand to press the respirator onto my face for a better seal.  The temp is 90 something degrees Fahrenheit, so this stuff was kicking quickly. I ended using 4 foam rollers for a 16 ft boat.
Sealed up the cans and ran inside, while this thing off gases major VOC's.  STINKY !!!  Pretty self leveling though. 




One coat...Self leveling.  Said to be dry to the touch after 2 hours but it is very hot here, 94 degrees F, so it was kicking quick.  The wife came home just after I was done, and complained that the whole house smelled like this stuff inside, and we have a split air conditioning system, so only freon moves from the air handler to the outside unit. Perhaps my house is not as air tight as I thought.





2 comments:

  1. Looking good. I have joined tubes before on a core sound, real pain. I would go with the flagpole or a hobie mast and cut it down! look forward to seeing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I could only make amas half as pretty as yours.....

    ReplyDelete