Thursday, July 10, 2014

Slingshot 16 Plans finally available




The plans for the Slingshot 16 trimaran are finally available on Duckworks
http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/smoot/slingshot16/index.htm


As you can see, you get 2 giant paks to print, the construction manual and the drawings.  The drawings are very impressive, featuring the best of modern computer graphics, so that complicated layers are shown in different perspectives, such as "X-Ray" view.  I have been studying boatbuilding quite a bit for 2 years now, and there is so much more to learn.   But these plans break it down, so even a newbie like me can understand.

Especially appealing features include building almost all the boat using 3 mm ply (1/8 inch) for main hull sides and for the amas.  The bulkheads are made from 1/4 inch and the transom from 1/2 inch.  This should result in a lightweight, but strong boat.  No wonder Frank Smoot, the designer, has achieved 14 + mph on his slingshot 16.

I have had the plans for one day so far, but have all my main bulkheads drawn out, and will finish drawing today, and then cut.  I have a buddy coming by this afternoon to help me cut. ( he is a pro, doing master carpenter work all day for a living, so his knowledge of cutting, and all the associated angles and dangles has immensely helped me on my other 2 boat builds.  I thought I was ready for him yesterday afternoon, and then started remeasuring my drawings of the bulkheads, only to find an error, so it was a good thing that he didn't come.  I redrew my lines, this time with a fine mechanical pencil, instead of a fat construction pencil.  Hope that does the trick.  This morning I will draw out the side panels, which are large and do not seem tricky.

No comments:

Post a Comment